Saturday, September 10, 2011

"Picnic In The Garden" Party

Kaylee and Jadyn had been so patient in waiting for their big party day to arrive. The backyard seemed to take up the majority of the summer, so as soon as the sod was unrolled, we were putting together the invitations. The girls couldn't wait to deliver them! (I made them each ones with their names on it but could only find one of Kaylee's after the party.)

We had been collecting things for the party here and there for a couple months and I couldn't wait to see how things came together. Kaylee was right by my side helping me and making sure things looked "just right." She loves parties as much as her mama! Jadyn on the other hand was content running around in the new grass and watching from afar. She was definitely excited to see the final product though!




As we waited for their little guests to arrive, my party helper, Victoria, played "flower, flower, watering can" with the kids. They especially loved the "mush pot!"
Then it was on to the picnic lunch. We served butterfly sandwiches, garden veggie cups (with ranch in the bottom for the "dirt"), daisy-shaped blueberry muffins, and fruit salad. Oh, and pink lemonade in glass milk bottles (which were actually upcycled starbucks frappicino bottles with the labels removed) with vintage paper straws.



After their bellies were full, it was time for games! 

Pin The Bug...
The Butterfly Race...
And a craft table where they made their own Butterfly/Frog Masquerade Masks (using this free printable.) They were a huge hit!




Then it was on to cupcakes. (After Jadyn's 1st birthday cake fiasco, I promised myself to stick with cupcakes since they're easier but this time I took a shortcut and used tub frosting from the grocery store instead of homemade... BAD idea!  It wouldn't pipe like mine does and started melting all over the place the second I took them outside.  Good thing kids aren't picky! :-))




Last up was presents! I love the idea of having the birthday girls take pictures with each of their guests and the present they brought... makes it easy when writing thank you cards.  (And you can include a photo of them together when you send it!)  I'd say this is a pretty cute bunch!!
When it was all said and done, the girls declared that it was the best birthday party ever and that I was the best mommy in the world... that right there made every second of preparation worth it!! :-)

2 comments:

Courtney {a thoughtful place} said...

Tried to respond to your email but could not. So here is my email :)
Oh, my gosh. Malissa . . . that picnic party is STUNNING. So much fun and so darling. You are very talented.

The cakes were only $6 each. I had albertsons do them and also requested the large white boxes to send them home in {they included them at no charge}. So with just six bakers it was very reasonable. . .I also used the cake Riley decorated as the cake we put candles in and sang to her with. Funny. . .my blue straws were left overs and the pinks ones my neighbor had left over! I love that.

Honestly. . . definitely some prep work {all fun, though} and the actual party was so easy. Very enjoyable!

thanks for your sweet comment and loved seeing your soiree!
Courtney

Meghan said...

Looks like a great party! I would love the butterfly mask printable as I prepare for my twins' second birthday, but the link didn't work. Thanks!!!