Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Vacation Recap

10 days, 2351 miles, 589 photos, 5 theme parks, 4 hotels and one disastrous return trip later, we are home and back to reality! In short, our trip was, well amazing! This was our first vacation with just our little family, and about a week longer than our usual getaways... so we definitely packed in the fun! I plan to bore you with all the mundane details in other posts but in the meantime...

a few
notes from our trip:

1) Every morning we would tell Kaylee that we were going on a new adventure. So she started calling the hotels our "adventure homes." (How cute is that??) She was also fascinated by the fact that almost all the toilets in California flush themselves. She referred to these as "smart potties."

2) This trip solidified the fact that Jadyn has the cutest little giggle on earth. Oh how I loved watching her little face light up!

3) For those of you who were concerned for our health, I'm happy to report that we did not catch swine flu.

4) Just a reminder to all you guys out there - always listen to your wives. Especially when she suggests that "scenic" routes and shortcuts are not the best option. That swanky looking GPS is there to direct you, not mounted to the dashboard for looks. Oh, and when deciding a detour through a national park is a good addition to the already 16 hour drive home, please make sure that your exit road is not closed. 7 hour detours through the Sierra Nevadas with 15 foot snowdrifts are not a fun addition. Especially when the windy roads make your 1 year old throw up in the backseat. Twice.

5) It is impossible to leave Disneyland without a souvenir lollipop. Impossible. But... so worth it when you get pictures like this:


6) When in line to see Tinkerbell at Disneyland, three little girls walked up behind us with their parents, decked out in little mermaid dresses, makeup, and glittery updo's. Someone asked them where they had it done and how much it cost. The reply? The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for the small price of $200 PER child! Somehow that demolished my former guilt about spending $25 a pop on the girls coordinating custom-made Minnie halters and matching bows.

7) Turns out we do have a fair skinned member of our family - even after 6 applications of sunblock, little Jadyn looked like a little lobster after the trip to Legoland! Big sister, on the other hand, tanned right through the sunscreen... she takes after Daddy!


8) Portable DVD players are a lifesaver on 23 hour car rides (see final destination post). And I so don't care if that puts me in the slacker mom category.

9) Kaylee is destined for a career in politics. Or maybe Miss America. The girl made friends with every waitress, ride operator, character, hotel maid, and child within a five foot radius! She insisted on introducing herself, little sister, and both parents to anyone that would listen. Yes, she likes to talk. A LOT.

10) I went TEN days without Internet. (I know, right?) This wasn't by choice - I actually did bring my laptop with me, but on day one, went to turn it on - the keyboard lit up and then turned itself off. I'm convinced I was jinxed though. Before leaving for our trip, my mother made me promise I wouldn't work. I set up some projects that were supposed to launch while I was gone, and since I am the only one who accesses the system, I was worried something would go wrong. I half-heartedly agreed, knowing I would be checking anyway... and see what happens!
Lesson learned... always obey your mother!

AND MOST IMPORTANT...

This trip was a beautiful reminder that I have the most amazing little girls and wonderful husband... and there is no one I'd rather spend my time with!!

DETAILED POSTS BELOW

2 comments:

Andersons said...

Oh my gosh, I am loving that picture of Jadyn with her lollipop. It's too cute!!

casa chandler said...

Wow! That looks like TONS of fun! What a great experience to take your children and enjoy something so exciting together! CUTE FAMILY!